Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Laissez les bon temps rouler!

My absence may not have been conspicuous, but I have a good excuse nonetheless.  My husband and I welcomed our first child into the world going on three months ago, and I have been devoting most of my energy to her.  I return to work shortly (next week!) and thought I may as well update my blog before I get into the thick of it.

Today is one of my favorite days on the calendar - Mardi Gras.  I've celebrated in New Orleans, but my favorite Mardi Gras celebration takes place right here in my own hometown of Mobile, Alabama.  This year, a 2 1/2 month old and a dreary day are definitely putting a dent in my celebration, but I'm not going to let the day pass without letting the good times roll, even if those good times are somewhat abbreviated.

Little One and I are dressed in our Mardi Gras finest.  Check out Little One's "They found me in a king cake" onsie here

I've never made gumbo before, as my husband so lovingly pointed out to me a short time ago, so we're trying out Emeril's Chicken and Smoked Sausage Gumbo.  Roux has intimidated me in the past, but after reading the primer in Southern Living's February 2013 issue, I felt prepared to give it a try.  It is still cooking at this point, but if it tastes half as good as it smells then it will be a success. 

I cheated for dessert and bought a King Cake cupcake from my favorite local cupcakery since I've already made three King Cakes this year.  However, if you feel so moved to bake a King Cake, check out this recipe from Southern Living.   I took it to a Super Bowl party and received lots of compliments.

If you've never been to Mardi Gras and would like to check it out, or if you're interested in the history, I suggest you start by checking out Mobile's celebration here


No comments:

Post a Comment